[Dev] Calamares Installer (Parabola rebranded) almost ready

bill-auger bill-auger at peers.community
Fri Jul 7 14:43:43 GMT 2017

On Fri, Jul 07, 2017 at 09:40:28AM -0300, fauno wrote:
> an installer iso that rsync's itself into the new root instead of
> downloading all packages from internet and installing them.

that is essentially how classic liveCDs work - most notably those of the knoppix and puppy variety - except not rsync - they simply explode the squashfs that the CD boots into as the base for the target system - the archiso builds could be made to behave this way wuite simply - in fact, the calamares installer has this as it's default install method, though i over-rode that behavior on my fork - i tried to explain all of this in my post about the new graphical ISO https://lists.parabola.nu/pipermail/dev/2017-July/005685.html

but i should add that by installing a "canned" system in this way is exactly the opposite of the concern you raised yesterday like: "isn't this supposed to be a learning experience?"

the "best of both worlds" approach that i described in the graphical ISO post would allow both the idiomatic "do it yourself" arch CLI install but without network connection

--
(: Music is the Best :)