[Dev] libretools 20170705 release announcement

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at lukeshu.com
Wed Jul 5 21:51:11 GMT 2017

I just released libretools 20170705 to [libre], and pushed the source
tarball to <https://repo.parabola.nu/other/libretools/>.

This is a fairly small release, but with a few potentially BREAKING
CHANGES:

Potentially BREAKING CHANGES from 20170512 to 20170705:

 - lib/conf.sh:

   * The load_files() and check_vars() functions got merged into one
     load_conf() function.  Any external programs that used conf.sh
     will need to be updated.  The only such program I know if, the
     autobuilder, has already been updated and is ready for this
     change.

   * Previously, conf.sh kinda-sorta worked in /bin/sh; now it
     positively requires bash.

 - librerelease:

   * The syntax of the `REPODEST` configuration item in
     libretools.conf has changed.  You will need to merge any .pacnew
     files before you are able to resume using librerelease.  This
     change enables the port number to be set here, which means that
     new users will no longer have to separately configure their
     ~/.ssh/config.

Other changes from 20170512 to 20170705:

 - librerelease:
   * Better error handling around config parsing.
   * GPG signatures created by librerelease are no longer
     ASCII-armored; they are now in the binary format.
   * Improve --help text.
 - libretools.conf defaults:
   * Include the 1863 port number in the default values.
   * Adjust for the librerelease's change in the REPODEST syntax.
 - lib/conf.sh:
   * BUGFIX: Allow nesting of LIBREUSER (user->root->user).  This
     means that when libremakepkg runs `pkgbuild-check-nonfree`, p-c-n
     uses the correct values for LIBREUSER and LIBREHOME when loading
     its configuration.  This fixes an issue with the autobuilder.
 - lib/messages.sh:
   * NEW: Added EXIT_* constants, for more consistent exit code
     meanings across programs
   * BUGFIX: setup_traps(): When handling an error, leave stdout
     alone; everything should be done on stderr.
 - more tests
 - tidy HACKING documentation

Finally, because of Joseph's recent call for localization of
pacman2pacman, I would like to reiterate that libretools is entirely
internationalized, but still needs localized (translated).  I'm now
adding a `po/HACKING` file to document how to add translations.