[Dev] Future of i686

Luke g4jc at openmailbox.org
Fri Jan 27 00:07:26 GMT 2017

On 01/26/2017 02:52 PM, Isaac David wrote:
> Le jeu. 26 janv. 2017 à 2:50, André Silva <emulatorman at riseup.net> a
> écrit :
>> On 01/25/2017 11:13 PM, Luke Shumaker wrote:
>>>  Arch just announced that they are phasing out i686 support, and expect
>>>  to have it totally dropped in November.
>>>
>>>  https://www.archlinux.org/news/phasing-out-i686-support/
>>>
>>>  Do we want to keep i686 alive past that in Parabola?
>>>
>>>  On one hand, i686 is increasingly obscure.  On the other hand, I'd
>>>  hate to have to stop using my X60 tablet.
>>>

>> It's a problem for me since my server is a i686 machine too :S
>
> I echo your sentiments.

I agree that we should try and support i686, I still have a computer
here which uses it as well.
However, we need more volunteers to help manage and bug fix for this
platform.
If anyone reading is passionate about this platform please consider
helping in development/packaging. Helping Arch will also help us here.

We do not have a build server yet, and it would not be conceivable to
build all of these without one. We are already nearly at building and
patching capacity thanks to all the other issues Arch has thrown downstream.