[Dev] Future of i686

André Silva emulatorman at riseup.net
Thu Jan 26 02:50:08 GMT 2017

On 01/25/2017 11:13 PM, Luke Shumaker wrote:
> Arch just announced that they are phasing out i686 support, and expect
> to have it totally dropped in November.
>
> https://www.archlinux.org/news/phasing-out-i686-support/
>
> Do we want to keep i686 alive past that in Parabola?
>
> On one hand, i686 is increasingly obscure.  On the other hand, I'd
> hate to have to stop using my X60 tablet.

It's a problem for me since my server is a i686 machine too :S

> With recent discussions of recompiling packages from Arch, and not
> using their binaries, perhaps keeping i686 alive will be less effort
> in November than it might be today.

+1 With recent discussions about security issues from Arch [0], i think
is the time to begin build our distro from scratch with autobuilder
or/and a build server (Arch ARM does it to maintain their packages).
Could we use winston for it? How's the builder server going [1]?

[0]:https://lists.parabola.nu/pipermail/dev/2017-January/004678.html
[1]:https://lists.parabola.nu/pipermail/dev/2016-November/004594.html