[Dev] [libreplanet-discuss] QTWebengine is nonfree

Elyzabeth von Reuenthal elyzabethvonreuenthal at iserlohn-fortress.net
Mon Jan 23 12:22:33 GMT 2017

QtWebEngine doesn't contain *all* of chromium. It contains Blink; uses the
Skia rendering library over the Qt rendering system; the Chromium networking
stack and cookie management. A more extensive list of features can be found
here: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwebengine-features.html
Apart from the features listed, others such as the Google account integration
and download scanning do not exist in QtWebEngine.
More information on how Chromium is modified by Qt can be found here: https://
wiki.qt.io/QtWebEngine_Rebase_on_New_Chromium

> How does QT plan to use chromium? I guess the idea is that inside a QT
> application you can open some html renderer.
That is exactly the purpose of QtWebEngine.

I think the best way to resolve whether or not the use of Chromium in
QtWebEngine is a privacy concern is to raise the question to the developers.
Contact details can be found at https://wiki.qt.io/QtWebEngineContribute