[Dev] [GNU-linux-libre] QTWebengine is nonfree

Raphaël Mélotte raphael.melotte at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 16:47:07 GMT 2017

> Yes, it means that QT/KDE framework are in danger (freedom issue and
> privacy risks) because QTWebengine embeds **entire Chromium platform**.

Are you sure it's a risk that QtWebengine engine is using the chromium platform ?
Does that mean that every Qt based browser using QtWebengine is inevitably compiled with the whole chrom(ium) platform ?
Maybe it depends on how each application is using QtWebengine.

Sorry to ask, but I'm using a Qt-only environment, and trying to keep every application as lightweight as possible (while having as many features as I need and still being freedom/privacy friendly).
That mean that I'm using Qupzilla as a web browser, and Qupzilla switched from QtWebkit to QtWebengine because QtWebkit is now considered insecure.
If what you're saying is true, that means I will have to switch from a Qt-only to a GTK-only environment since there is no other Qt web browser that fits my needs.

I never thought that chromium would be hiding behind QtWebengine and that it could be a problem.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention !