[Dev] PCR Request - openfortivpn

XCH XCH at protonmail.ch
Wed Dec 27 08:59:21 GMT 2017

Hi,

This is my concern, too. FortiClient VPN service is part of Fortinet Endpoint Protection software by Fortinet. I cannot find any trace that could suggest the software running on Fortinet devices is free software. I would assume then that it is proprietary unless proven otherwise.

Personally, openfortvpn saved me from purchasing hardware with non-free OS. Fortinet offers client software (FortiClient) only for non-free OS-es and FortiClient itself is non-free I believe. Installing non-free software is unacceptable for me, but using free software to connect to this server was the only option to connect to corporate network which enforced VPN connections via their FortiClient hardware.

This is not to say that I don't understand FSDG and risk of exposing Parabola users to this service that could inadverently be a form of endorsing this service. In this situation I am going to leave the packages for myself where there is no harm to the community. Ultimately the only disadvantage for me would be manual updates of the packages.

Taking the opportunity I want to learn why other packages of similar characteristics are included in Parabola's repo.
- freerdp [1] enables connection to Windows machines. RDP protocol originates and is predominantly used to connect to Microsoft non-free OS-es
- openvpn [2] enables connecting to proprietary VPN servers communicating with standard VPN protocols

[1] https://www.parabola.nu/packages/community/x86_64/freerdp/
[2] https://www.parabola.nu/packages/core/x86_64/openvpn/

Regards,
XCH