[Dev] problems with replacements for blacklisted packages

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at lukeshu.com
Sat Dec 23 17:32:33 GMT 2017

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 22:06:56 -0500,
Luke Shumaker wrote:
> > Luke Shumaker wrote :
> > >  - b43-fwcutter is not replaced by, but is provided by
> > >    libre/b43-tools.  For one, I am flabbergasted that whatever freedom
> > >    issues b43-fwcutter has aren't also issues with b43-tools.
> > >    Secondly, b43-tools should probably replaces=(b43-fwcutter), or be
> > >    renamed to b43-fwcutter.
>
> I asked Emulatorman on #hyperbola
>
> Rough timeline:
>
>  - core/b43-fwcutter is only useful with non-free firmware
>  - core/b43-fwcutter is blacklisted because of the above
>  - openfwwf, a libre b43 firmware, is released
>  - Emulatorman packages libre/b43-tools for openfwwf, either not
>    realizing that core/b43-fwcutter would work with openfwwf, or
>    forgetting that core/b43-fwcutter ever existed.
>
> The b43-fwcutter program in both packages is identical.  The
> difference is that b43-tools also includes other utilities like
> b43-asm.
>
> So, what we should do:
>
>  - unblacklist core/b43-fwcutter
>  - have libre/b43-tools provides=() and conflicts=() b43-fwcutter, but
>    not replaces=()
>  - verify that openfwwf can be built with core/b43-fwcutter (that it
>    doesn't need b43-asm or any of the other programs included in
>    libre/b43-tools but not core/b43-fwcutter).
>    * if it can:
>      - move b43-tools to pcr
>      - have openfwwf reference b43-fwcutter instead of b43-tools

openfwwf requires the b43-asm program to build; core/b43-fwcutter does
not provide that program; b43-tools needs to stay in [libre].

openfwwf does not depends on the b43-fwcutter program at all; it only
depends on other programs included in b43-tools.  The b43-fwcutter
program is not useful with openfwwf.

Therefore, we should
 - continue blacklisting core/b43-fwcutter
 - remove /usr/bin/b43-fwcutter from libre/b43-tools
 - do not include b43-fwcutter in any of libre/b43-tools' provides/conflicts/replaces

Emulatorman agrees with the above assessment.

 - perhaps mention the absence of b43-fwcutter in libre/b43-tools' pkgdesc

I have updated the documentation on the issue with b43-fwcutter on the
LibrePlanet list of software that does not respect the FSDG[1], as
well as in our blacklist.txt[2].  I have not yet updated the
libre/b43-tools package.

[1]: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines#b43-fwcutter_.2F_b43-tools
[2]: https://git.parabola.nu/blacklist.git/commit/?id=c7ea5d453d6b3cf5e554c48707aa2e1b295c2f82