[Dev] GNU Cash broken and gone from repositories?

Raphaël Mélotte raphael.melotte at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 14:19:31 GMT 2017

> to be clear - i think what you meant to say was that archlinux does not
> build 'webkitgtk' anymore - it is not at all correct to say that
> webkitgtk is un-maintained nor would that imply that it is necessarily
> "un-safe" - webkitgtk is an actively maintained project and there was a
> new release just 2 days ago - also, 'webkitgtk' is still an available
> parabola package in the non-prism repos so it matters not what the
> status of that package is in archlinux - parabola will continue to build
> it for as long as it is useful

Some versions of webkitgtk and webkitgtk2 (the one used by gnucash) have
known vulnerabilities that won't be patched (see [1]).
Although it's not a problem in the case of gnucash as it uses html only
locally (see [2]), I wouldn't recommend anyone to use any browser based on
it.
The package named webkit2gtk is the maintained version of webkitgtk and is
the one to use for web browsing with webkit.

[1]:
https://blogs.gnome.org/mcatanzaro/2016/02/01/on-webkit-security-updates/
[2]:
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2015-December/063251.html