[Dev] [FYI] port 22 on servers going away

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at lukeshu.com
Sun Dec 17 16:53:56 GMT 2017

Hi all,

For security and administration reasons, the Parabola servers have
pretty much always had SSH on port 1863.  However, some people
previously involved with the project also enabled it on port 22.
We'll be dropping that the next time we -Syu, which I anticipate to be
this week.

It's possible you have some configs or workflows that will need to be
adjusted.

Your ~/.ssh/config can be adjusted to have 1863 be the default port
for Parabola's servers by adding

	Host parabola.nu *.parabola.nu parabolagnulinux.org *.parabolagnulinux.org
		Port 1863

Git remote URLs that don't specify a port should obey that setting.
But, to set the port in git remote URLs, it is formatted like this:

	ssh://git@git.parabola.nu:1863/~git/whatever.git

To set the port on an IP or hostname in ~/.ssh/known_hosts, you need
to wrap the IP/hostname in square brackets:

	[proton.parabola.nu]:1863,[80.87.129.244]:1863  ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 AAAAE2VjZHNhLXNoYTItbmlzdHAyNTYAAAAIbmlzdHAyNTYAAABBBMADiqJyJfjxXv+8FC3JxSfGBFmhevhHTWJEoe1gc5TVEOuvPD8XXy2o5EN9IzBLLFGlZbAEKYdt3apAFPJtwfE=

For Emacs TRAMP users, you set the port like

	/ssh:hostname#port:/path/to/file

--
Happy hacking,
~ Luke Shumaker