[Dev] texlive-core problem, and repairs

Andreas Grapentin andreas at grapentin.org
Fri Dec 8 05:54:16 GMT 2017

On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 03:07:59PM -0300, Megver83 wrote:
> El 06/12/17 a las 12:14, Nelson H. F. Beebe escribió:
> > I built a new machine running Hyperbola 0.2.1 in our test farm of
> > Unix(-like) systems, and successfully installed more than 650
> > packages on it with "pacman -Sy", based on a similar list from
> > an Arch Linux system in the farm.
>
> I'm sorry, but I think you confused the mailing list. This is Parabola's
> dev list, not Hyperbola's nor Arch's.

While Megver is technically correct, this is an issue that *does* affect
us as well, and I have noticed it before when using LaTeX:

  # pacman -Fl texlive-core | wc -l
  16194

> > One package, texlive-core, failed to install completely, however,
> > and I diagnosed the problem, and found a workaround logged in
> > these system notes:
> >
> > When I installed texlive-core, I found that the installation step
> > failed because of missing Czech fonts (.../cs/cs*.mf).  A comparison
> > with Arch Linux showed that Hyperbola is missing many files:
> >
> > 	hyperbola:
> > 		# pacman -Fl texlive-core | wc -l
> > 		16266
> >
> > 	archlinux:
> > 		# pacman -Fl texlive-core | wc -l
> > 		24069
> >
> > I was able to temporarily repair the problem like this:
> >
> > 	# fmtutil-sys --listcfg
> > 	# fmtutil-sys --disablefmt csplain
> > 	# fmtutil-sys --disablefmt cslatex
> > 	# fmtutil-sys --all
> >
> > Now the Czech fonts are disabled, and the remaining *.fmt files are created:
> >
> > 	hyperbola:
> > 		# find /var/lib/texmf/web2c -name '*.fmt' |wc -l
> > 		18
> >
> > 	archlinux:
> > 		# find /var/lib/texmf/web2c -name '*.fmt' |wc -l
> > 		38
> >
> > It is unclear why almost 8000 files are missing from texlive-core
> > compared to the package on Arch Linux.

This is probably due to the fact that we remove a bunch of nonfree parts
of texlive-core, that have incompatible licenses, or no license at all.
You can have a look at the script that generates the package here:

https://git.parabola.nu/abslibre.git/tree/libre/texlive-core/PKGBUILD

From the issues you describe, I guess we are removing some things
incorrectly, ore incompletely. Can you maybe take a look at the PKGBUILD
and suggest a possible improvement? :)

Thanks for reporting this,
Andreas

my GPG Public Key:                 https://files.grapentin.org/.gpg/public.key