[Dev] ping!

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at lukeshu.com
Thu Aug 31 00:36:22 GMT 2017

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 20:38:48 -0400,
fauno wrote:
> i've been buried in work, finally got time to upgrade linux-libre to
> 4.12.  you?  what's been happening?

I've been MIA too.  I don't really have an excuse.  I haven't been
buried in work, and I haven't been doing enough that I can call it
burn-out either.

Monday, I decided to learn some GTK+ and write a little GTK+ app to
fiddle with X11 gamma correction curves.
https://git.lukeshu.com/ggamma/

I've been working on my branch of Jarmon (which I might end up being
the new maintainer of), a plotting library that I use in my
server-monitoring dashboard.  It's been very helpful in keeping the
Parabola servers running well.  https://git.lukeshu.com/2git/jarmon/

I wrote collectd plugin to monitor systemd units.  I've been meaning
to deploy it on the the Parabola servers (it would have alerted me to
the all of the issues we've seen in the last year that my existing
monitoring didn't), but I got distracted when *I* got hit by issue
where the pacman keyring complains about my key, so...
https://git.lukeshu.com/collectd-systemd/

I began looking in to why the pacman keyring sometimes thinks that my
key is invalid.  The key isn't expired, and the parabola-keyring
package should have the local Pacman Master Key local-sign it; so it
doesn't really make sense.  Assuming that everyone who sees this is
seeing the *same* bug, the issue seems to be that the validity of the
key becomes "Unknown"; that is the keyring says "I trust 'Luke
T. Shumaker <lukeshu at sbcglobal.net>', but I'm questioning whether key
99195DD3BB6FE10A2F36ED8445698744D4FFBFC9 really belongs to him."  I
have no idea how that happens.  It doesn't seem to be an issue with
the *current* keyring; if you:

    # rm -rf /etc/pacman.d/gnupg
    # pacman-key --init && pacman-key
    # pacman-key --populate archlinux
    # pacman-key --populate parabola

then everything is fine.  So, it seems that some version of
parabola-keyring that we shipped *in the past* corrupted the keyring
in a way that eventually causes this to happen.

I also learned that the gpg manual is woefully incomplete and that the
source code is hard to read.

And then I've been putting off finishing up notsystemd
232.2/233.1/234.1.  I haven't touched it since I got back from
Colorado 2.5 weeks ago.

Ugg, and that still leaves the parabolaweb<->hackers.git integration
that I've been talking about forever.  And I promised better build
server/reproducible builds by November, didn't I?