[Dev] libre/ruby

fauno fauno at endefensadelsl.org
Wed Apr 26 00:24:18 GMT 2017

fauno <fauno at endefensadelsl.org> writes:

> hey!  i'm the new packager of ruby for parabola and i found you provided
> the patch to change json on ruby.  the patches are for a json version
> that's 4 years old and you link to a repo on gitorius... have you been
> maintaining this?  otherwise can you explain what you did?  :)
>
> https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/674
>
> ps: ha!, just opened the gitorius url and found gitweb :P

niitotantei answered that the patches aren't maintained, but also that
debian has been informed of this issue too.  debian asked upstream and
they send them upstream to json, where niitotantei also asked about the
license and the maintainer said this would be looked at... but nothing
happened.

they also say the code under the unfree license is now under a bsd
license, but no one is changing the terms on the file either.  no one
seems to think is that bad.  maybe we can send this as a patch.

i was just reading the oj gem is a drop in replacement for the json gem
and it's faster, so if it is free, maybe we can replace it on our ruby?
i would have to check if it can be aliased to json.

meanwhile i upgraded ruby to 2.4.1 with pure ruby json 1.8.1 bundled

refs:

* http://www.ohler.com/oj/index.html
* https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=798680
* https://github.com/flori/json/blob/master/ext/json/ext/generator/generator.c