[Dev] the future of arm support

fauno fauno at endefensadelsl.org
Tue Apr 25 13:27:15 GMT 2017

Andreas Grapentin <andreas at grapentin.org> writes:

> are you saying that currently the main issue is lack of compute
> resources?

if we were to have a clear understanding of to whom the hardware belongs
and responsibilities, we could write to the libretea people and ask for
a few as donations.  we did this with yeloongs (one was stolen and the
other died) a few years ago.

as far as i recall the process was the following:

* vendor said they could give us 2 yeloongs as donations

* people on this list proposed who they think should get them

* we voted and xihh and myself got them, under the promise it would be
  used to work on the mips64el (i looked it on the list archive but it
  starts on september 2011 and this was previous to this time...)

* we received them as donations, though i had to pay for customs ($1100
  ARS which at the time were... ~200 USD iirc).  i don't remember if
  xihh had to pay?

i guess we should add a way to retrieve them if the hacker is unable to
continue working.

also, in my experience with mips64el, porting a whole distro is really
tiresome (i was spending whole days doing only packaging until we wrote
`dagpkg` and abslibre.git stabilized enough not to produce constant
build errors), so we either distribute the work or we automate it.

maybe the hordes (?) of people getting eoma's is a good opportunity to
distribute this workload?

what do you think?

--
https://lainventoria.com.ar/