[Dev] [RFC] Deprecate Parabola Iceweasel in favor of Triquel Abrowser

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at lukeshu.com
Sun Apr 23 00:53:49 GMT 2017

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 11:41:48 -0400,
Nicolás A. Ortega wrote:
> As an IceWeasel user my question is, how easy would the migration be? I
> realize that lots of Parabola users have a ton of addons and settings
> for IceWeasel and so on.

I figure that there are 3 aspects to consider in the migration:

 1. pacman; easy just stick 'replaces=(iceweasel)' in the abrowser
    PKGBUILD

 2. executable; I figure re-training users to type 'abrowser' instead
    of 'iceweasel' isn't too bad

 3. configuration; Iceweasel stores its stuff in '~/.mozilla/firefox',
    Abrowser stores its stuff in '~/.mozilla/abrowser'.  Just renaming
    the folder should do the trick.  There might also be a thing for
    having Abrowser recognize the 'firefox' directory and move/copy it
    automatically (something similar happened back around 4.0 or 5.0,
    that mechanism might still be available).

>                          Also, how would this affect the
> `iceweasel-hardened' package? I'm pretty sure that it'll be easily
> transferable, but I have little knowledge of Abrowser.

Others in this thread have said that -hardened is just a prefs.js
change?