[Dev] [RFC] Deprecate Parabola Iceweasel in favor of Triquel Abrowser

Nicolás A. Ortega deathsbreed at themusicinnoise.net
Sat Apr 22 15:41:48 GMT 2017

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 11:20:43AM -0400, Luke Shumaker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Someone reported via parabolaweb that Iceweasel is out of date, so I
> began to look in to how to update it (having been the original
> packager of Iceweasel when it first came to Parabola; before handing
> it off to Emulatorman).
>
> When I first added Iceweasel, it was by mimicking ConnOS (our then
> sister distro), and imported Debian's rebranded Firefox.
>
>   (This had the added benefit that Debian applied portability patches
>   to support architectures that Firefox upstream didn't support; this
>   was very useful when we had MIPS support)
>
> However, ConnOS no longer exists as an Arch derivative (it shut down
> for a while, then came back as a Gentoo derivative), and Iceweasel no
> longer exists in Debian; Debian now ships proper Firefox.  I hadn't
> realized that about a year ago "Debian Iceweasel" became "Parabola
> Iceweasel" and Emulatorman began maintaning the Iceweasel patches
> outside of Debian.
>
> Trisquel Abrowser is Trisquel's rebranded Firefox (and is distinct
> from (the former?) Ubuntu Abrowser).  It is maintained by quidam, who
> is also the maintainer of GNU IceCat.  We always had to maintain a set
> of patches *on top of* Debian's patches, to address FSDG concerns; if
> we import from Trisquel, that maintenance effort goes away.
>
>   (I also expect this to take care of architecture-patching; Trisquel
>   inheritys from Ubuntu which inherits from Debian; but it this isn't
>   a sure thing, it is possible that we may have to still deal with
>   pathing for ARM.)
>
> I think that it makes sense to cooperate with Trisquel, rather than
> duplicate the effort.
>
> As for having both Abrowser and IceCat; Abrowser tracks the latest
> Firefox release, IceCat tracks Firefox-ESR (Extended Support Release).

As an IceWeasel user my question is, how easy would the migration be? I
realize that lots of Parabola users have a ton of addons and settings
for IceWeasel and so on. Also, how would this affect the
`iceweasel-hardened' package? I'm pretty sure that it'll be easily
transferable, but I have little knowledge of Abrowser.

--
Nicolás Ortega Froysa (Deathsbreed)
https://themusicinnoise.net/