[Dev] [RFC] Create a public pad.parabola.nu

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at lukeshu.com
Fri Apr 14 20:23:38 GMT 2017

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 15:57:38 -0400,
fauno wrote:

> [1  <multipart/signed (7bit)>]
> Josh Branning <lovell.joshyyy at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On 14/04/17 18:54, Luke Shumaker wrote:
> >> Sometimes, members of our community want to have a discussion via
> >> etherpad... and that pad doesn't get shared with the rest of the
> >> community, and cliques form.
> >>
> >> I propose creating pad.parabola.nu on which Parabola hackers[1] can
> >> create pads, but the listing of all pads is public, so that none of
> >> them are "secret".
> >>
> >> [1]: I said "Parabola hackers" as an anti-spam measure; credentials to
> >> create a pad would be based on inclusion in hackers.git.
> >>

> > I think this is a sensible idea, but couldn't possibly comment myself as
> > I am not an official.
>
> it doesn't need to be authenticated.  in my experience pads are almost
> never vandalized (i remember one case where the person vandalizing them
> had auto-translate on chrome enabled and it messed up the text) and
> they're much richer when many people is involved.  you can always save
> them using the star icon.
>
> +1 for an open pad

That works when the pad IDs/URLs are basically random, secret tokens.
When the listing of them is public, I'm not sure the same sanctity
would exist.

Bots are my concern moreso than human trolls.  Perhaps a captcha or
somesuch?  Though human trolls too; on HN I've read the horror stories
of running a public pastebin service.