[Dev] Q1: Do you have a consensus on the budget for the Build Server?

Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic tct at ceata.org
Fri Apr 14 18:26:48 GMT 2017

Hello,

I've noticed that there has been much secrecy about the exact mainboard
model of the build server G4JC (Luke R.) and Emulatorman (André Silva)
have proposed.

>From the private communication G4JC and Emulatorman have initiated with
fauno and me:

On 29.03.2017 18:15, Tiberiu wrote:
> On 29.03.2017 18:01, André Silva wrote:
>> > It is a x86_64 machine
> I'm very curios what board it is. Is it ASUS KFSN4-DRE? Or ASUS
> KCMA-D8? D510MO? D945GCLF? :-) I'm reading from the libreboot hardware
> compatibility list: https://libreboot.org/docs/hcl/

Also, I didn't see on the mailing list any consensus on the budget for
this build server. I believe this goes against the Parabola Social
Contract.

"4. [...] the community is to be included whenever there is a need to
make a decision"

https://wiki.parabola.nu/Parabola_Social_Contract

Knowing this, the Parabola delegate fauno (Nicolás Reynolds) has
personally expressed concerns about the expenses related to this
proposal especially on the shipping of the chassis/UPS. The dismissal of
fauno's concerns as "unnecessary drama" by G4JC goes against the Fiscal
Sponsorship Agreement.

2. a) **Nicolás Reynolds is Parabola's Delegate** (the "Delegate") to
   communicate any and all donation-related (including but not limited
   to expenditure) decisions to Ceata's Council.  Ceata will only object
   to the decisions to the extent Parabola is not in compliance with §
   2(b) or § 5 of this Agreement, or when the Delegate's communication
   isn't in conjuction with a Parabola document or resource at
   parabola.nu website.

https://git.parabola.nu/~~historic/ceata-agreement.git/tree/Parabola+Ceata_Agreement.markdown

I've tried to be proactive and have come with solutions:

On 28.03.2017 19:58, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic wrote:
> Please excuse me if I'm overstepping here, but what would you say
> about a librebooted KGPe-D16 build server for Parabola hosted in
> Bucharest, Romania?
[...]

On 29.03.2017 18:24, Tiberiu wrote:
> Maybe we can try to find if someone is traveling from USA to Brazil?
> They could transport the UPS/chassis in their checked-in baggage,
> right?

Later, I learned on the mailing list that the proposed board is a
KFSN4-DRE. This mainboard supports DDR2 RAM and not DDR3 and is in many
aspects inferior to the KGPE-D16 that FSF, Guix and other free software
projects use and I proposed for the same amount of money.

On 07.04.2017 01:47, Luke wrote:
> * KFSN4-DRE - Motherboard (Libreboot compatible, but not re-flashed
> yet, would feel more comfortable for it to be done on delivery anyway)

So, my question is: has the Parabola community been presented and have
you discussed options and the detailed budget for the new build server?
Have you reached a consensus about this for fauno to tell me what needs
to paid for?

Have you discussed location of the new build server? This is relevant
for the shipping/collocation.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you all have to say on this matter.

Tiberiu