[Dev] Calibre contacts its own servers to check for version updates (patch available)

nospam at curso.re nospam at curso.re
Wed Apr 12 14:19:40 GMT 2017

Hi all,

I'm posting from gmane, I hope this is OK.

The Calibre Ebook manager (calibre package) has code to contact the
calibre servers (https://code.calibre-ebook.com/latest) to check for
version updates.

I think that this is

1. redundant since calibre is installed from Parabola
2. a privacy issue since the app pokes an external server in a somewhat
   opaque way

Although the option to check for updates can be turned off (Ctrl-P ->
Behavior -> "Show notification when new package available"), it's on by
default an most users may not know about it.

I have a couple of patches that remove the option from the Calibre UI
and the Python code that contacts the servers (in src/calibre/gui2/)
that I am using to build a modified calibre package off the Parabola
one.

Are you interested in reviewing and possibly integrating them?

Thank you for the hard work you're doing with Parabola!

Best,

-- S.