[Dev] Reproducible Builds

Bill Auger mr.j.spam.me at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 08:32:34 GMT 2017

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 12:58 AM, Luke Shumaker <lukeshu at lukeshu.com> wrote:

> I do think that borrowing/building on the work that has been done for
> the tests.R-B.org/archlinux server is a good idea.  I'm not sure
> Jenkins itself is entirely necessary though; it seems a little
> heavyweight for what is a pretty simple task.

i think there is still a mis-conception implied in that - there is
nothing useful to "leverage" regarding the jenkins server at r-b.o -
it is not a build farm - it exists solely as an independent party for
the purpose of verification playing the role of the end-user
stakeholder - it is of no usefulness to parabola other than as a
public verification of parabola's commitment and competency
demonstrated by an impartial party

in other words each distro is free to implement using whichever tools
and procedures they choose - in the simplest final stages the jenkins
server at r-b.o could have nothing more than the patched pacman
exactly as will be shipped to end-users which downloads the patched
sources and prepares the expected build environment automatically
based on some prescription associated with each package

debian specifies the environment in a .BUILDINFO metadata file for
example that accompanies the sources but again, each distro can handle
that as it chooses - this declares in a functional way such constants
as the exact versions of the compiler and dependencies - (i.e.
compiler ^ dependencies ^ sources ^ env-vars -> deterministic-result)
- jenkins re-builds each package several times randomizing some
unspecified factors to verify that the build is reproducible given
only the source and the prescribed build environment expectations - it
then discards the artifacts and displays the test results on the web -
there is nothing more to it

the fuzz thrown into the pre-defined build environment includes
varying the following, none of which must ever affect the output or
else the verification will fail

date and time,
build path,
hostname,