[Dev] Some doubts about Parabola's donations

Luke g4jc at openmailbox.org
Thu Apr 6 23:47:44 GMT 2017

On 04/06/2017 05:51 PM, fauno wrote:
> all of this made me lose sleep over a week, not knowing what kind of
> mess i would find every morning, and ultimately made me lose trust on
> the people involved.  i believe emulatorman and others' impatience,
> impulsiveness and lack of transparency put us in this position, where
> ceata rightfully doesn't want to have anything else to do with parabola
> and we have to find a new fiscal sponsorship in 60 days.  which i find
> doubtful.

For whatever it's worth, I don't think you or the other Parabola team
members were at fault here.
As someone who has tried to provide donated infrastructure directly
developers multiple times, every time even a small amount of money was
asked to be used for shipping or parts, we would spend weeks just going
back and forth about how the funds "had to be declared", and if someone
tried to by something locally in cash "oh no, that isn't declared so we
can't reimburse anyone anything".  Essentially, the laws of Romania, and
Ceata by extension, were making it very difficult. It's not their fault
that they reside in that country, but it is what it is.

I would be happy to see the money reach developers directly, it never
really has. Since you were working as delegate and developer, you should
be able to claim funds too.
Wouldn't it be useful if the remaining funds which are to expire went
directly to the core team such as yourself, emulatorman, ovruni, and
others who have been here the longest? We could even reimburse lukeshu
for his excellent work on libretools and spending time at LibrePlanet.

Unfortunately, most any of those ideas couldn't be "declared" which
leads me to wonder if the money ever really existed at all - other than
to be a stressful headache for yourself and everyone involved in the
project.