[Dev] Some doubts about Parabola's donations

Stig Roar Wangberg srw at openmailbox.org
Thu Apr 6 10:04:48 GMT 2017

to., 06.04.2017 kl. 08.18 +0200, skrev aurelien:
> Crazytoon <crazytoon at riseup.net> writes:

> > > +1
> >
> > +1
>
> +1
>
> I would like to bring you back in time when I said that I am against
> the
> money. Parabola was at first a mate adventure and continue to be one.
>
> I have no doubt about fauno and would be really pleased that you the
> people of that community get time to think of some important points:
>
> This project offer us many things from personnal being to knowledge.
>
> Nowadays thanks GNU and thanks Parabola because I have a job and that
> job comes from the knowledge all people of GNU shared with me and
> offer
> me the chance of practicing.
>
> Afaik from the day money comes here, it change many things from the
> share of practicing essential part of the project to the reason why
> people act.
>
> Speaking of people act, the first part of that mail comes from
> nowhere
> so that mean a private exchange around a public situation.
>
> The dark corner of the money are just like this:
>
> "Dark corners are basically fractal—no matter how much you
> illuminate,
> there’s always a smaller but darker one."   -— Brian Kernighan
>
> Money must be kicked out from that place and never comes back.
>
> Yes the project need money for servers and many other things, but get
> time to understand that we load and run it during many years without
> donation rules, just on the point of discussion.
>
> Parabola is a great school art works and fauno his pillar.

I'm extremely thankful and grateful for Parabola and all I've learned
about computing and hacking these last few weeks. And I couldn't have
done it without the help, patience and understanding from my new
friends in this unique, wonderful community.

I for one would love to see a world with a resource based economy
rather than a debt/interest one. (End the FED and Central Banking!) But
I would hate to see my friends - already working around the clock to
maintain the best distro in the world (!) - sell themselves to
companies doing non-free software and working with proprietary software
 just to make a living and only doing Parabola in their sparetime an
hour before bed. But that is not for me to deside, of course, I mean
how people are making a living. But I find this free community so
unique, helpful, developing (personally, per knowlegde, how-to,
freedom, friendship and more) that I would love for the devs to work
with Parabola and at the same time be able to pay their bills, devices
needed for building, maintaining, food and a place to live, for the
sake of keeping Parabola secure, safe, up to date and so on. It would
also be great for the philosophy of freedom if Parabola could be
promoted with the help of artifects like t-shirts, cups, stickers,
support, lectures (for schools, companies and others interested in the
use of free software) etc., which also would contribute to Parabola
economically.

For me to be able to donate to Parabola and its devs, is a great joy
for me. Not the fact that this world have this perverse superstition of
a 'religion' called the monetary system, but due to the fact that I
strongly believe this will help freeing even more users from the
slavery caused by proprietary/non-free software and OSes. And for that
I - as a user - very much so need you guys to do what you love the most
and do best, i.e. Parabola!

I very much welcome this new site for donating! I also welcome the idea
of having a store, offering support and so on. And personally I have
grown a lot in knowledge and know-how since I started to use Parabola.
And if my learning curve continues the way it has the last few weeks,
who knows; perhaps one day I can contribute to Parabola myself! I
myself don't have to worry about money ATM, but I would hate to see
Parabola lose quality because devs have no time to maintain it. So if
that means to pay the devs a little money through donations, then YES!
I'm in!