[Dev] [consensus][due: 2016-10-10] Script to obtain the optimized 'mirrorlist'

Alejandro Hernández alejandrohp at openmailbox.org
Sat Oct 1 23:55:21 GMT 2016

El 2016-10-02 00:15, Luke Shumaker escribió:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 16:01:51 -0400,
> Alejandro Hernández wrote:
>>      "Parabola.nu" must go to independent end of their performance
>>      because it corresponds to our main server where the bandwidth
>>      we need to raise our packages and develop.
>
> It doesn't really use much of our bandwidth anymore.  Unless you stick
> ?noredirect at the end of the URL (which pacman doesn't do), then it
> redirects you to a mirror for package files.  The only thing it serves
> directly is the .db files (and very new package files that have not
> yet been mirrored).
>
> But I'm game for not shipping a static mirrorlist anymore.  Why not do
> what Arch does?

Wow! You're right. I've found some arch info:
Mirrors:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mirrors

And 'Reflector' package. Script which can retrieve the latest mirror
list from the MirrorStatus web page, filter the most up-to-date mirrors,
sort them by speed and overwrite the file /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reflector

And I've read that distributions like 'Bridge Linux' (Arch based)
incorporates 'reflector' into the update process by default. 😲 I think
that is what Parabola needs.

Thanks.