[Dev] Parabola GNU/Linux-Libre + GNU Calamares installer

Franco Masotti franco.masotti at student.unife.it
Wed Nov 30 12:34:36 GMT 2016

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 11:58:35AM +0100, Joan-Artur Torras wrote:
> Hello friends,
>
> Greetings from Barcelona, Spain.
>

> I love Parabola GNU/Linux-Libre, so first of all, thank you very much
> for this wonderful project. As far as I know, the only one GNU/Linux
> distro active and up-to-date.
>

> MATE desktop ISO is great for beginners, but what do you think about
> doing some step beyond, and adding the universal GNU installer framework
> "Calamares" to our great distro?

Hello Joan-Artur,

It's been several months now that I was thinking about forking one of the arch
installers, for example Architect [0] or arch-anywhere [1]. I didn't know
Calamares existed by the way.

> I understand the K.I.S.S. philosophy of Arch Linux, but in my opinion
> Parabola GNU/Linux-Libre + Calamares installer will be a joy for both
> advanced and beginners users.

And not only that, but also to "deploy" Parabola without spending too much
time for complex configurations. Infact, one feature that most
installer miss, is the ability to save the configuration made by the installer
itself, in order to replicate it the next time that same configuration is
needed.

> Do you think that is it possible?  Is the effort worth?
>

> Thank you very much for you time and have a nice day fellows.
>

> Love,
>
> Joan-Artur

What do you people think?

Cheers.