[Dev] Notice of Iceweasel and Icedove Hardening changes

Luke g4jc at openmailbox.org
Fri Nov 25 03:24:47 GMT 2016

Hello Everyone,
Per our previous consensus[1], users wanted to continue to have both the
convenience of a non-hardened Iceweasel and Icedove, and the security of
nonprism if they wanted. So we give you the option to have both
installed at the same time!

The Nonprism Repo[2] now includes *optional* packages that greatly
strengthen the privacy and security of your system.

These packages are:
* iceweasel-hardened-preferences
* icedove-hardened-preferences

The scripts utilize firejail[3] to create a protected environment which
does not have access to your entire computer. In addition, they include
a hardened branding.js[4] which is placed prior to running the the
program, and removed after you have closed the program.

This allows the user to continue having both programs installed, while
providing the ability to opt-in to privacy and security at any time by
running the following new commands:

* icedove-hardened
* iceweasel-hardened

- Please note that these scripts cannot run at the same time as the
normal/non-hardened programs, but can be used interchangeably without issue.

- Users wishing to further customize their hardened profile can place a
User.js in their ~/.mozilla[5]

Enjoy!

Luke

1. https://lists.parabola.nu/pipermail/dev/2016-October/004563.html