[Dev] [announcement] https://repomirror.parabola.nu/

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 22 23:24:35 GMT 2016

Hi guys,

I think I've discussed it forever.  But I finally got around to
implementing it: <https://repomirror.parabola.nu/>.

If you put it in your mirrorlist, it will automatically redirect you
to a mirror that has synced recently enough to have the package you
are looking for.  For .db files, it always sends you to
repo.parabola.nu (that is, it always gives you the most up-to-date
version).

It is my hope that this will help load-balance between mirrors, while
also allowing users to not have to worry about a mirror being
out-of-date.

For mirror selection, it checks the parabolaweb mirror status database
(<https://www.parabola.nu/mirrors/status/json>) and randomly chooses
from mirrors with a lastsync timestamp newer than the ctime of the
file you are looking for, and falls back to <repo.parabola.nu>. It
also knows to only use repo.parabola.nu for files that don't get
rsync'ed.

For future improvements, it could consider mirror speed (as determined
by parabolaweb), or use GeoIP to weight higher mirrors that are closer
to you, et c.

It hasn't been thoroughly tested yet.  Let me know of any issues you
find!