[Dev] [gnu.org #928402] CAcert root certificate non-free?

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 4 02:15:39 GMT 2016

On Tue, 03 May 2016 11:44:54 -0400,
Joshua Gay via RT wrote:
> I apologize for the delay. I wanted to follow-up with this to let you
> know that we did consider the matter.

It's all good!  Thanks for getting us an official FSF response!

> > I'm with Parabola GNU/Linux-libre, and I have doubt that we can
> > continue packaging the CAcert root certificate.
> >
> > It was pointed out that in 2010 Fedora Legal found[0] CAcert's "Root
> > Distribution License"[1] to be non-free; with a usage restriction.
>
> I disagree with Fedora's analysis. It does not place a restriction that
> violates the terms of the GNU GPL. It is not a nonfree restriction.

Glad to hear it!  Our concern wasn't directly with GPL compatibility,
but with our status as an FSDG, FSF-endorsed distribution.

In the mean time, our position had been that while it might contain a
nonfree restriction, the cert is non-functional data, and not subject
to the strictness of the FSDG's requirements on code.  IIRC, this
position was well-agreed upon on the gnu-linux-libre list.

--
Thanks again,