[Dev] Server crashes can be OOMs

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 17 18:07:11 GMT 2016

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 13:45:01 -0400,
fauno wrote:
> Esteban Carnevale <alfplayer at mailoo.org> writes:
>
> > Memory on the server is normally ~ 50 %. Sometimes Labs Ruby processes
> > are executed which use ~ 30 % total. I've seen Parabolaweb use ~ 10 %,
> > so if these two, and possibly others, take memory at the same time, the
> > server can go out of memory. Is this acceptable for Labs?
> >
> > Examples of "sar -r" and "top -o %MEM" with high Labs memory usage on
> > the file attached.
>
> some memleaks may be solved if we upgraded the server more often :P

Also, Rails (Labs) is just a huge memory hog.  And as long as we're
running an application that uses Rails, that's never going to change.
Perhaps we configure Redmine's cgroup to have a maximum memory usage,
such that it can't affect the rest of the system?

I only expect ParabolaWeb's memory usage to go up when a bunch of
packages have just been updated.