[Dev] Using pacman2pacman by default

IngeGNUe ingegnue at riseup.net
Sat Mar 12 14:47:17 GMT 2016

On 03/12/16 07:01, nicolasmaia at tutanota.com wrote:
> Widespread usage of pacman2pacman would greatly reduce the load on our tiny
> number of mirrors, and make us immune to server downtimes. IMO it should be
> bundled by default with all our distro variants.
>
> As Gaming4JC mentioned, this would need to be an option in the installer, in
> case the user has low bandwidth.
>
> Also, I opened a bug report about it: https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/964
>
> What do you think about this proposal?
>
> Nicolas Maia
> --
> Enviado seguramente pelo Tutanota. Torne sua caixa de correio criptografada
> hoje mesmo!https://tutanota.com

I quit using it recently and I'd start using it again if more people
used it. Making it a default package would be a good way to draw
attention to it. But, there are a few issues:

- Any advice on how to filter torrented packages out of
transmission-remote-cli? Currently, they clog up the view! :)
- chmod /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ to 775 instead of 777 per Arch Wiki's
advice:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Transmission#Configuring_the_daemon
-- I can't think of a good reason it's not 775.
- pacman2pacman should meet some quality standards if it is to be
provided by default. Perhaps there is a reason, other than visibility,
that it is not used that much. Therefore, are there any security
weaknesses with its current implementation, apart from the point above?