[Dev] Fwd: [arch-dev-public] DKMS modules for virtualbox

fauno fauno at endefensadelsl.org
Wed Mar 9 16:15:45 GMT 2016

FYI

--
http://partidopirata.com.ar/

-------------------- Start of forwarded message --------------------
From: Sébastien Luttringer <seblu at seblu.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 02:44:13 +0100
Subject: Re: [arch-dev-public] DKMS modules for virtualbox

-------------- next part --------------
On mer., 2016-03-09 at 10:19 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 09/03/16 09:29, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
> >
> > On dim., 2016-03-06 at 21:41 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> > >
> > > 1) pre pacman-5.0 updates unsupported without any prior notification
> > Interesting. This issue will also be present if we move other stuff like
> > update-desktop-database to hooks, right? Do we have a way to detect pre-
> > pacman
> > 5 update to display a warning or handle it correctly?
> There needs to be a public announcement made that we expected everyone
> to have updated to pacman-5.0 by <insert date here>.  Then we start
> using hooks.
There is no way without breaking people updating their Arch from pacman 4.x
after that random date?

> > We are not a source based distribution.
Debian provides its vbox modules only via dkms and it's not a source
distribution (as far I know).

Not to mention, that we are not providing binary modules for all our kernels,
or all our modules in binary for months and we are stil not a source
distribution.

> > Binary packages should be the default.
It also elegant to default to a package which works with all kernels.

> > As we currently not have the infrastructure to build binaries modules each
> > time
> > a new kernel version (flavoured / versioned) is pushed,
> Surely that is a five line script...
Please provide it. We are building all our kernel modules manually for years.

How this will work? When I push a new version of virtualbox on svn a builder
will pick the current kernel and build the modules from my dkms version and
push them to the repo? Which key will sign these packages? How this will be
synced with db-update?

We will even be able to provide binary modules for all kernel we have in core
and in cty without much effort.

Cheers,

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer