[Dev] [consensus][due: 2016-06-13]: New version for Parabola Social Contract

Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic tct at ceata.org
Thu Jun 16 01:28:58 GMT 2016

On 06/15/2016 11:24 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
>   > 2.  **Parabola is Free Culture**: All documentation and cultural works
>   >     included in products of the Parabola project are [Free
>   > Culture](http://freedomdefined.org/Definition),
>
> I will fetch that page now, but if I remember right, it restates the
> GNU definition of free, except not limited to software.
> The GFDL allows invariant sections and cover texts because they
> are consistent with that definition.  They affect labeling of the
> manual, not the manual contents.

Three years ago we had a similar discussion at Ceata, a foundation for
free software and free culture based in Romania, and we have decided to
treat works licensed under GFDL with invariant sections and works of
opinion on free software licensed under CC BY-ND as acceptable
exceptions in our free software and free culture projects (including
translations), along with free software and free culture license texts.

We have decided to do so because these exceptions help advancing the
free software movement, and we know most companies and people in the
open source camp are happy to delete GNU from free software names and
GNU philosophy paragraphs included with the software documentation, or
even worse, twist RMS' words.

Also, at Ceata we believe we need more urgently software freedom than
culture freedom and hardware freedom.

But in the end, it is up to Parabola to decide.

Tiberiu