[Dev] [consensus][due: 2016-06-13]: New version for Parabola Social Contract

coadde coadde at riseup.net
Wed Jun 15 05:57:07 GMT 2016

On 06/15/2016 12:16 AM, Isaac David wrote:
> Besides adding a link
> to http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#OpinionLicenses
> and not explicitly mentioning license texts and the GFDL with
> invariants sections as exceptions to point 2, this version is
> essentially the same Luke Shumaker's latest version in
> git. Isn't it?

Yes, however in this case i added the consensus democracy reference
suggested by Emulatorman in the clause 4 [0]

[0]:https://lists.parabola.nu/pipermail/dev/2016-June/004126.html

> I'm OK with any of these two, but I prefer the mention to
> license texts.

Yes, you're right, it needs references about invariant sections [1].

[1]:https://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-howto-opt#SEC1

Now, see my new proposal below with the new changes about invariant
sections, what do you think?

The Parabola Social Contract is the commitment that we, the Parabola
project, make to the Free Software community in general and our users in
particular.
It is because of this that our social contract will always follow the
philosophy of Free knowledge.
All amendments to this social contract must be faithful to the spirit of
the [Free Software
Movement](https://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software).

1.  **Parabola is Free Software**: Products of the Parabola project
    follow the [GNU Free System Distribution Guidelines
(http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html).
    They do not include or recommend non-Free software or documentation
    and do not provide any type of support for the installation or
    execution of non-Free software.
    This includes: proprietary software, binary only firmware or
    binary blobs.
2.  **Parabola is Free Culture**: All documentation and cultural works
    included in products of the Parabola project are [Free
Culture](http://freedomdefined.org/Definition),
    with the exceptions of: [licenses for works stating a
viewpoint](http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#OpinionLicenses)
    and [invariant
sections](https://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-howto-opt#SEC1).
    All documentation and cultural works created by or for Parabola are
    Free Culture, with no exceptions.
3.  **Parabola and other distributions**: Parabola's objective is to
    support the Free Software Movement,
    so we only need to compete against non-Free software;
    other Free Software projects are to be cooperated with,
    not competed with. Parabola strives to support other Free Software
    projects as best we can and any information from our project is
    available for anybody who needs it.
    That includes our packages and repositories.
4.  **Parabola and its community**: Parabola's community is democratic
    in its essence through [consensus
democracy](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus_democracy),
    so the community is to be included whenever there is a need to make
    a decision.
    We encourage community participation in the development of the
    project.
5.  **Parabola and Arch**: Parabola will produce an operating system
    that is a Free version of [Arch (the GNU/Linux
distribution)](http://www.archlinux.org/)
    and possibly other Arch-based systems.
    We will provide repositories and installation media without any
    non-Free software.
    All Parabola operating systems will be backward compatible with the
    system they are based on, as to help liberate already working
    installations.
    We will respect the design philosophies of the systems ours are
    based on, to reduce friction from both developer and
    user viewpoints.