[Dev] [consensus][due: 2016-06-13]: New version for Parabola Social Contract

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 10 03:59:54 GMT 2016

On Thu, 09 Jun 2016 22:55:26 -0400,
Richard Stallman wrote:
>   >  1. In this formal context, I believe that we should use formal name
>   >     given to it by its developers.
>
> In this case, you have to choose to give this kind of respect
> either to the developers of Arch GNU/Linux or to the GNU Project.
> Respecting the former means joining them in disrespecting us.

Would you be happy (not feel disrespected) if we were to write the
following?

    4.  **Parabola and Arch Linux**: We will produce an operating
        system that is a Free version of the GNU/Linux system
        "Arch Linux" and possibly other Arch-based systems.  ...

This would be/is the only place in the document where we refer to
Arch.

I believe that this acknowledges (without endorsing) the name that the
Arch developers have chosen, while still honoring GNU, and emphasizing
that Arch is a GNU/Linux system.  Not endorsing them naming it that,
but merely acknowledging the fact that this is what the Arch
developers have named it.

As for respecting GNU: We call our operating system Parabola
GNU/Linux-libre.  The only places in our documentation or operating
system where we write "Linux" without "GNU/" (or sometimes "GNU+") in
front is when referring specifically to just the kernel, or when
writing "Arch Linux".  And when we do refer to Arch, the _vast_
majority of the time we _don't_ call it "Arch Linux" (calling it just
Arch), for the purpose of not disrespecting GNU.