[Dev] [consensus][due: 2016-06-13]: New version for Parabola Social Contract

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Fri Jun 10 02:55:26 GMT 2016

  > Justifiably and understandably, RMS (and thus the FSF) believes that
  > because GNU is being wronged by being left out of the name while
  > "Linux" is included, that it is right and just to similarly mutilate
  > Arch Linux' name.  That the Arch developers have no moral authority to
  > insist otherwise, as they are guilty of the same act.

The argument is sharper than that.  We are not changing their chosen
name in any old way.  We are changing it to correct the insulting error
in their choice.

  > I don't disagree with this, in the general case.  However, there are
  > two factors that make me feel otherwise here:

  >  1. In this formal context, I believe that we should use formal name
  >     given to it by its developers.

In this case, you have to choose to give this kind of respect
either to the developers of Arch GNU/Linux or to the GNU Project.
Respecting the former means joining them in disrespecting us.

--
Dr Richard Stallman