[Dev] [consensus][due: 2016-06-13]: New version for Parabola Social Contract

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 7 23:59:59 GMT 2016

On Tue, 07 Jun 2016 12:12:35 -0400,
fauno wrote:
> Luke Shumaker <lukeshu at sbcglobal.net> writes:
> >
> > Nonsense, Free-with-a-capital-F is a capitonym for being in-line with
> > the Free Software movement, as opposed to other meanings of the word
> > free.  It gets to be capitalized because its meaning is being related
> > to the specific proper-nown movement, rather than implied-by-context
> > specific meaning of the generic word "free".
> >
> > Put another way,
> >
> >  - "free" = any of the many dictionary definitions
> >  - "Free" = libre

Note that I specifically called this out in my original 2013 proposal.

https://lists.parabola.nu/pipermail/dev/2013-July/001554.html

> why don't we just use Libre then :P

Because readability, and remnants of the original wording.
"non-libre" isn't a phrase I've seen before, so we say "non-free".
Then, for clarity within that paragraph, we say "Free", where in
another paragraph we say "libre".

Really, using one or the other is just a remnant of the original
wording.  One of my comments on my 2013 proposal was that we should be
consistent between "Free" and "libre"; as both are used in the
document.  But I wasn't really happy with any of the wording I tried
with being consistent.