[Dev] [consensus][due: 2016-06-13]: New version for Parabola Social Contract

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 7 16:07:33 GMT 2016

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 19:27:43 -0400,
hellekin wrote:
> On 06/06/2016 08:32 PM, André Silva wrote:
> >
> > https://wiki.parabola.nu/Talk:Parabola_GNU/Linux-libre_Social_Contract
> >

> Your amended proposal looks good except for the capitalized "Free", when
> it's used as an adjective in the fourth point.  This is grammatically
> wrong, and a capital doesn't change the meaning, except if you consider

(the capitalization of Free originated in my proposal)

Nonsense, Free-with-a-capital-F is a capitonym for being in-line with
the Free Software movement, as opposed to other meanings of the word
free.  It gets to be capitalized because its meaning is being related
to the specific proper-nown movement, rather than implied-by-context
specific meaning of the generic word "free".

Put another way,

 - "free" = any of the many dictionary definitions
 - "Free" = libre

Much more dubious is the non-capitalization of "movement" in "Free
Software movement".

Ultimately, it comes down to which "style guide" you are following.  I
picked up this style when I was closely following the planet.fsfe.org
feed from 2010-2013 ish.