[Dev] [consensus][due: 2016-08-10] increasing security in Parabola, servers

hellekin hellekin at gnu.org
Sun Jul 31 07:27:27 GMT 2016

On 07/31/2016 04:00 AM, fauno wrote:

>> * Use a TOX server as XMPP replacement.
>
> wasn't tox p2p?

It is, but this doesn't mean it's more secure.  AFAIK Tox's security has
not been reviewed.  Moreover I tested it recently, it works quite fine
for one-on-one, even with HD video, but remains unstable under lousy
network connection, e.g., not indicating when your interlocutor is gone.
 I cannot tell about group behavior: with two people it's not working as
expected.

>> * Add TOR, DNSCrypt and VPN to increase security.

DNSCrypt involves a DNS server not under your control.  If you run your
own DNS and configure DNScrypt to use it, it will affect your users if
they use your DNScrypt, otherwise it will just slow down everything for
no real improvement.

my 0.2 ETC :)

==
hk