[Dev] Problems with linux-libre-4.6.3_gnu-1 and 4.6.4_gnu-1 x86_64

Luke g4jc at openmailbox.org
Thu Jul 21 02:55:32 GMT 2016

On 07/20/2016 05:15 PM, nospam at curso.re wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I hope that this is the correct mailing list for my question (posting
> from GMane, this is the only "parabola" list I found).
>
> I have been an happy Parabola GNU/Linux user for a while, but I've
> recently hit a strange problem with the latest kernel packages, namely
> the 4.6.3 and 4.6.4 for x86_64 architectures.
>
> The problem is that when I upgrade to 4.6.3 the systems cannot boot and
> falls back in maintenance mode complaining about plymouth. I have not
> investigated this further and waited patiently for the next upgrade.
>
> With 4.6.4 the system somehow boots, but it cannot load a number of
> modules. Upon further inspection I noticed that `uname -r` would give me
> the older kernel version (i.e. 4.6.2) rather then the latest. So I guess
> that then the kernel was looking for its modules in the wrong place
> (i.e. in the 4.6.2 directory that did not exist any more after the
> package upgrade). I wonder what might have gone wrong because neither
> the package upgrade with `pacman` nor `mkinitcpio -p linux-libre` seemed
> to give error messages. Yet, I ended up with the "wrong" kernel.
>
> Do you have any advice to help me fix this?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> -- Stefano

Hello Stefano,

Was this a fresh install of Parabola GNU/Linux-libre or did you migrate
from Manjaro/Arch? The reason why I ask is I had a similar issue at one
point on a migrated system, it would actually boot from the older kernel
sometimes.

I would start by checking the /boot directory to ensure that the
linux-libre kernel is properly installed, followed by checking the
grub.cfg to see if it is in fact booting the latest kernel. It should
not be booting the old kernel once a new kernel is installed, so uname
shouldn't mention the old version either.