[Dev] Problems with linux-libre-4.6.3_gnu-1 and 4.6.4_gnu-1 x86_64

nospam at curso.re nospam at curso.re
Wed Jul 20 21:15:08 GMT 2016

Hi all,

I hope that this is the correct mailing list for my question (posting
from GMane, this is the only "parabola" list I found).

I have been an happy Parabola GNU/Linux user for a while, but I've
recently hit a strange problem with the latest kernel packages, namely
the 4.6.3 and 4.6.4 for x86_64 architectures.

The problem is that when I upgrade to 4.6.3 the systems cannot boot and
falls back in maintenance mode complaining about plymouth. I have not
investigated this further and waited patiently for the next upgrade.

With 4.6.4 the system somehow boots, but it cannot load a number of
modules. Upon further inspection I noticed that `uname -r` would give me
the older kernel version (i.e. 4.6.2) rather then the latest. So I guess
that then the kernel was looking for its modules in the wrong place
(i.e. in the 4.6.2 directory that did not exist any more after the
package upgrade). I wonder what might have gone wrong because neither
the package upgrade with `pacman` nor `mkinitcpio -p linux-libre` seemed
to give error messages. Yet, I ended up with the "wrong" kernel.

Do you have any advice to help me fix this?

Many thanks,

-- Stefano