[Dev] [RFC] backups

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 8 21:20:50 GMT 2016

On Fri, 08 Jul 2016 16:17:22 -0400,
fauno wrote:

> [1  <multipart/signed (7bit)>]
> Luke Shumaker <lukeshu at sbcglobal.net> writes:
> > Who do we give this data to?  If it's encrypted, who holds the
> > decryption keys?  How long do we retain backups for?  How often do we
> > make them?
>
> i've been using backupninja+duplicity with good results, and you can
> gpg encrypt to several keys so there's no single point of failure

AFAICT, duplicity differentiates between incremental and full backups,
which means that periodically we'd need to make a new full backup
instead of having to step through every incremental backup.  That's
fine I guess, but I'd rather have full backups with deduplication,
like tarsnap or bup.  Of course, tarsnap is nonfree, and bup is
immature.

(+10 internet points to whoever writes a Free clone of tarsnap.)

But also: I think the more important question to answer is "where does
the data go"?  Where will we host it?