[Dev] [RFC] backups

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 8 19:25:21 GMT 2016

Hi guys,

We really need to talk about our backup infrastructure.

Some of our stuff is easy-ish to back up:

 - most git repositories can just be mirrored :
   lukeshu.com/git, github, gitlab, ...  (I'd set this up on
   lukeshu.com a long time ago, but I think it stopped running.
   Setting this up with github and gitlab has been in my TODO.txt for
   way too long).

 - /srv/repo/main is already backup up by our mirrors.  However, if
   there were ever a problem, we wouldn't be able to roll back to a
   backup if it already propegated to the mirrors.

But some other stuff is under-served:

 - /etc/.git: contains crypto keys, system password hashes
 - /srv/sql: besides database passwords, the repositories contain
   usernames and password hashes for wiki, redmine, and parabolaweb
   users.
 - /home
 - /srv various files contains database passwords and the like

Who do we give this data to?  If it's encrypted, who holds the
decryption keys?  How long do we retain backups for?  How often do we
make them?