[Dev] Thankful for the BeagleBone Black donation!

Josh Branning lovell.joshyyy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 03:06:39 GMT 2016

On 07/02/16 21:43, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 07.01.2016 16:00, coadde wrote:
>> happy hacking!
>
> Any progress on the GRUB porting in the past month? Which is the code
> repository and how can people help coadde with the development?
>
> Is anyone else working on having full ARM v7 support in Parabola?
>
> Is there a documentation page for installing Parabola on an ARM v7 board
> such as the BBB? Is it Arch (still) needed for the installation?
>
> Thanks,

I installed on a A10-olinuxino-lime successfully, but I used an
arch-linux img to start with and migrated according to the wiki.

I only hit two problems along the way, and considering how recent the
port is, it was really rather pain free.

The first problem I had was the link to the parabola-mirrorlist or
parabola-keyring (I forget which) wasn't recent enough. It looks as if
this has now been fixed on the wiki.

The second problem was upon installing the more recent mirror-list or
parabola-keyring, or by some other way, the architecture got set back to
auto in pacman.conf. I checked the arch linux armv7h img, and in the
image, it is set to armv7h, so it must have got switched somehow. I
asked on IRC and got help by a friendly dev (can't remember whom) and
they guided me through the troubleshooting process, they also updated
the wiki to give the solution to this second problem. Most helpful.

I couldn't say if arch arm was needed, the reason why I didn't generate
my own image to start off with, is because the only laptop I have access
to here at the moment is running Trisquel, and AFAIK a parabola computer
is required to create the images.

I'm not a listed parabola developer but I might be able to access an x86
parabola machine soon, and I have a second a10-olinuxino-lime, so
perhaps I could run the image generation tests (as per the wiki) with that?

I am half surprised how well things went actually, considering none of
yous lot own the same device. uboot*-linux-libre worked as expected. And
the kernel even had the tinylcd drivers I wanted to run a hdmi screen
with (they're not yet in the sunxi kernel).

All in all I am very pleased with what's been done so far.

Thanks for all your hard work and efforts, it's much appreciated,

Josh