[Dev] Thankful for the BeagleBone Black donation!

Isaac David isacdaavid at isacdaavid.info
Mon Feb 8 01:35:24 GMT 2016

Le dim. 7 févr. 2016 à 15:43, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic <tct at ceata.org>
a écrit :

> Any progress on the GRUB porting in the past month? Which is the code
> repository and how can people help coadde with the development?
>
> Is anyone else working on having full ARM v7 support in Parabola?
>
> Is there a documentation page for installing Parabola on an ARM v7
> board
> such as the BBB? Is it Arch (still) needed for the installation?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic | Președinte, Fundația Ceata
> GPG: 900CECE2 | Tel: +40-761-810-100
>
> Susții libertatea artelor și tehnologiilor?
> Înscrie-te ca membru: http://ceata.org/inscrieri

Hi Tiberiu, thanks for your inquiry. Earlier in January Marcio
(coadde), Andre (Emulatorman) and I followed some debugging
suggestions for GRUB handed over by GNUtoo on irc; and independently,
coadde and I chased down the problem to the final function call
tasked with loading the kernel. We blame wrong addresses for it.
I personally stopped working on it after trying out some address
combinations with Emulatorman; it seems that some deeper
understanding of the platform is needed. This is why coadde opened a
bug report at Savannah,[1] but no reply has come from the GRUB guys
since Jan 21.

As with all other Parabola packages, development occurs at the
abslibre git repo; more specifically in our single grub package.[2]
A second grub package called grub-git with an obvious difference was
added per GRUB developer's request.

Regarding the overall state of the Parabola port to ARMv7 I can say
it's in good shape and usable despite the pause-giving impression...
such as [core], [extra] and [community] packages not showing on the
website. (Some proofreading work is needed here to make sure ArchARM
custom packages aren't introducing nonfree dependencies.[3]
Emulatorman has already added ArchARM kernels to the blacklist).

Although the [nonprism] and [pcr] repos haven't been ported yet, some
of us work to keep an almost complete [libre] up-to-date. Emulatorman
does a fantastic job maintaining the kernels across all architectures,
and I port the not-so-trivial missing [libre] PKGBUILDs one at a time.
My current focus is on kodi, replicating my success with iceweasel of
which a preview is available on [libre-testing], and doing the same for
icecat. I counted only 8 packages missing plus a few more which are
x86-specific. The rest is provided by ArchARM as I mentioned.

We do have documentation for fresh-installing Parabola on ARM,[4] as
well as uboot packages for a variety of boards. Avoiding Arch should be
perfectly possible. However the heterogeneity of the ARM world makes it
difficult to write down detailed instructions for flashing arbitrary
devices. (The uboot+GRUB effort is geared towards making the bootloader
situation a little less cumbersome by reducing the number of uboot
packages to one per board instead of one per board+kernel combination).
At this moment the installation guide expects the user to know at least
how to flash the installation image to a bootable medium of his/her
choice and flash the appropriate Parabola uboot package to the device in
question. Really easy stuff but platform-specific nonetheless.
Improvements
and extensions to our guide are appreciated.

We also need somebody with wiki permissions greater than mine to make
these ARM guides more discoverable from the main page.[5]

[1]: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?46890
[2]: https://projects.parabola.nu/abslibre.git/log/libre/grub
[3]: https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs
[4]: https://wiki.parabola.nu/Category:ARM