[Dev] ARM port updates and RFC

Isaac David isacdaavid at isacdaavid.info
Mon Aug 29 03:07:43 GMT 2016

As promised, I've made a tiny change to the way ARM packages
are imported, in order to keep noise down at
maintenance at lists. It turns out that Arch ARM is using sort
of corrupt .files databases (some entries are missing
signature fields in the desc files). This causes the inotify
service endowed with tracking changes to databases to crash
upon encountering the first corrupt package, and package
contents aren't being filled in in parabolaweb as a result.
Then when an agent tries to access
https://www.parabola.nu/packages/core/armv7h/acl/files (for
instance), django serves an error.

I didn't merge changes to master yet; they live on a
separate branch[1]. A second commit fixes an unrelated
low-severity bug in the import scripts that was discovered
while working on this. They have been tested on a separate
dbscripts+parabolaweb setup[2]. The downside for building
our own databases from scratch is that the script takes
longer to complete. I welcome alternative solutions and
criticisms.

I have this feeling that the next item on the list would be
constructing import whitelists from x86 packages (hopefully
excluding 'any' packages) plus a few essential packages
unique to Arch ARM, because those databases are not in good
shape. There are some packages that Arch (x86) removed
months ago that we still take from Arch ARM. (Yet another
issue to inform to them). We can always blacklist nonfree
packages as we spot them, regardless of their origin; but
maybe we should stick to a single baseline. That would be
x86. I worry about losing practical control over our ability
to keep Parabola free if we just let packages arrive amok.
What do you think?

PD: I don't know if landing the change will automatically
fix package descriptions for all old broken ARM packages.
We may have to repopulate parabolaweb.

[1]
https://git.parabola.nu/packages/dbscripts.git/?h=isacdaavid/isacdaavid
[2] http://178.62.204.135:8000/packages/core/armv7h/acl/files/

- --
isacdaavid
GPG: 38D33EF29A7691134357648733466E12EC7BA943