[Dev] [libreplanet-discuss] Misleading information in EOMA68 news

Christopher Waid chris at thinkpenguin.com
Fri Aug 26 03:34:49 GMT 2016

On 2016-08-25 10:29 PM, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic wrote:
> On 26.08.2016 05:22, Christopher Waid wrote:
>> The project is claiming to be a libre hardware/software project, not
>> that everything has been released yet.
>
> Then it's not a libre hardware project yet!

It is. All owners of this hardware have the schematics and the rights
thereof to redistribute.

> And need I remind you that outside your organization there is an
> organization/user of an EOMA68 computer which haven't received the
> product as a libre hardware product, because free PCB files have not
> been provided?

This is not correct for multiple reasons. For one what the FSF reviewed
was not the final hardware. The hardware they have reviewed was an early
prototype that demonstrated we would be in compliance with RYF. The FSF
does not have any units for RYF yet. Under RYF you would be correct.
They would in that case get to keep the units/own them. The units they
were given were on loan. We still owned them. A company can utilize free
software and refuse to provide its employees with the source and still
be in compliance.