[Dev] [libreplanet-discuss] Misleading information in EOMA68 news

Christopher Waid chris at thinkpenguin.com
Fri Aug 26 02:16:27 GMT 2016

On 2016-08-25 06:26 PM, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic wrote:
> On 25.08.2016 15:47, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic wrote:
>> On 25.08.2016 15:25, Adonay Felipe Nogueira wrote:
>>> This issue of "you said it is 'libre' but I prove it's not", and even
>>> the issue regarding the older publication on ThinkPenguin's site, can
>>> be
>>> easily solved by changing terms/words accordingly there. There's no
>>> need
>>> to make everyone mad at each other.
>>
>> It's not just about terminology. It's about deliberately misinforming
>> the people to back your project because it's been libre hardware and
>> libre software "right from the beginning". And also misinforming
>> people
>> to think it's OK for their freedom to buy laptops with proprietary
>> BIOS
>> rather than with Libreboot.
>
> Richard Stallman has just confirmed me that FSF has not received the
> PCB
> design sources along with the Libre Tea Computer Card.
>
> I hope that now everyone understands that this EOMA68 board is *not*
> libre hardware as claimed.

That doesn't make it "*not* libre hardware" as far as the FSF is
concerned. The FSF *DOES NOT* require the PCB designs for RYF. They are
not involved in or concerned with the release of schematics. The end
user can't do anything with schematics like they can with libre
software. This source code is what the FSF is concerned with.

What has to be released is the complete set of corresponding source
code. Everything else is extra and is being released out of our
goodwill. No promises have not been kept as the crowd funding page
clearly says the schematics will be released. As a gesture of goodwill
everything else already has been.