[Dev] Misleading information in EOMA68 news

Paul Kocialkowski contact at paulk.fr
Wed Aug 24 10:25:04 GMT 2016

Le mardi 23 août 2016 à 11:24 -0300, Adonay Felipe Nogueira a écrit :
> Just now, I **have** subscribed to Parabola's dev mailing list. So I'll
> try to catch-up with this topic. :)
>
> I'm inserting libreplanet-discuss and trisquel-users mailing lists as
> recipients of this email because of my opinion on Tiberiu-Cezar
> Tehnoetic's message
> (<https://lists.parabola.nu/pipermail/dev/2016-August/004353.html>).
>
> I'm also inserting a member of ThinkPenguin as recipient so as to let
> him know the issue found by Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic, which is discussed
> furthermore in this email.
>
> I agree with Paul Kocialkowski's original message
> (<https://lists.parabola.nu/pipermail/dev/2016-August/004341.html>).
> Furthermore, my **last** edit in the original pad
> (<https://pad.riseup.net/p/parabola-news-libre-tea-computer>) is perhaps
> the most correct one (if the timeslider references don't change over
> time, it should be
> <https://pad.riseup.net/p/parabola-news-libre-tea-computer/timeslider#2238>,
> saved July 24th, 2016. After this version, the misleading text gets
> added).

Feel free to contribute to the revision pad:
https://pad.partidopirata.com.ar/p/parabola-eoma

Others: what do you think of this version? Please acknowledge when you think
it's ready. At this point, revision 310 suits me fine:
https://pad.partidopirata.com.ar/p/parabola-eoma/timeslider#310

However, I would gladly skip the part following "However, it's important to note
that:". Providing details there seems like a very slippery slope and I'd rather
link to relevant posts or information from the campaign page. Better yet,
quoting parts from there would be even more appropriate.

For instance, "2D and video acceleration work well with free software", while
being true, is not precise enough to be a really useful information. Also, the
part about the circuit board is too vague, since only the EOMA68 card (and not
the landing board or laptop board) were said to be withheld.

> About Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic's message
> (<https://lists.parabola.nu/pipermail/dev/2016-August/004353.html>):
> Indeed, the use of "free software friendly" to also mean "fully free
> software" or "freedom-respecting" is a communication noise (article on
> Wikipedia: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communication_noise>).
> Basically, in context of marketing (not sales), a communication noise
> happens when **either** the senders or receivers of a message
> distort-or-misunderstand the message.
>
> Besides, I'm inserting a member of ThinkPenguin as recipient of this
> email so as to let him know the issue that Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic found
> in ThinkPenguin's website content. This was done so as to make it easier
> for ThinkPenguin to see the issue. This **is not** meant to be taken
> offensively.

They may agree that it's an issue or not. I don't think it is one.
For the record, you're probably referring to "Company #2" from:
https://lists.parabola.nu/pipermail/dev/2016-August/004353.html

--
Paul Kocialkowski, developer of low-level free software for embedded devices

Website: https://www.paulk.fr/
Coding blog: https://code.paulk.fr/
Git repositories: https://git.paulk.fr/ https://git.code.paulk.fr/