[Dev] Misleading information in EOMA68 news

Paul Kocialkowski contact at paulk.fr
Tue Aug 16 16:12:24 GMT 2016

Le mardi 16 août 2016 à 17:01 +0300, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic a écrit :
> On 16.08.2016 11:43, Paul Kocialkowski wrote:

> > > However, both average users and high-profile organizations in the free
> > > software world are using "free software friendly" to also mean "fully
> > > free software" or "freedom-respecting".
> >
> > I don't see the problem or contradiction here. It is vague so it can
> > rightfully
> > cover both terms. The point is that it is not intrinsically equivalent to
> > one of
> > those.

> > > Given the examples above where "free software friendly" is used by a
> > > wide range of users, companies and nonprofits for both hardware fully
> > > compatible with free software and hardware not fully compatible with
> > > free software, I hope we can reach the same conclusion that we have to
> > > avoid this ambiguous term which spreads confusion among what is and what
> > > is not software freedom respecting, thus working against our efforts to
> > > educate users as part of the free software movement.
> >
> > I disagree with that conclusion. Using a vague word implies that it doesn't
> > refer to something more precise -- but it can cover such terms. I don't
> > think
> > that using a vague/broad expression, that lacks details, is confusing and
> > misleading. It's just imprecise, which is different.
> >
> > People who'll understand free software-friendly as fully free are jumping to
> > conclusion without any basis. The words don't hold that meaning, they are
> > adding
> > more sense to it than what the words hold.
>
> Well, based on my experience, the masses do understand free software
> friendly as fully compatible with free software. Especially since a
> company with FSF-endorsed hardware states:

But this is not what "friendly" means! "friendly" is inherently vague. It's not
reasonable to act on what some people might add to that meaning: it becomes
impossible to draw a line then.

> "For more information on free software friendly hardware check out the
> Free Software Foundation's Respect Your Freedom web site at: fsf.org/ryf."
> https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/short-interview-christopher-waid-about-
> thinkpenguin-linux-action-show
>
> Which IMO sends the message "free software friendly" is equivalent to
> "respects your freedom".

This is an interpretation, too. It is true that "free software friendly" covers
RYF. Also, RYF is not equivalent to "respects freedom".

Either way, I don't see the point of showing examples of people using "free
software friendly" in different ways. The words have a precise meaning, that's
all. How it's generally used and the context association feels irrelevant to me.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, developer of low-level free software for embedded devices

Website: https://www.paulk.fr/
Coding blog: https://code.paulk.fr/
Git repositories: https://git.paulk.fr/ https://git.code.paulk.fr/