[Dev] Misleading information in EOMA68 news

Josh Branning lovell.joshyyy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 14:57:39 GMT 2016

> What do other people on this list think? Should we avoid using the term
> "free software friendly" or there is no reason not to use it?

I think the article is misleading as it's written at the moment, (by
stating it's "libre hardware" rather than "with an open specification").

In regards to free software friendly, it isn't 100%; totally, as there
is no way to run the GPU using free software. And the same problem
exists if one were to claim it 100% "respects your freedom", so I can't
see how saying something is "free software friendly" is much better, as
the same problem(s) exist(s) in both wordings.

Perhaps focusing on the positive features, like stating that it can boot
up using only free software, is pre-installed with parabola, etc. whilst
perhaps also admitting it's apparent flaws (like the lack of libre GPU
drivers), would be the most accurate, honest, and least deceptive way to
describe EOMA68 when writing an article on the subject. That and the
"libre hardware" --> "open specification" correction.

Josh