[Dev] [consensus][due: 2016-08-10] increasing security in Parabola, servers

pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de
Thu Aug 4 07:35:57 GMT 2016

I’m replying to the list.

On 08/03/2016 10:40 PM, Joshua Haase wrote:
> [2016-08-03 09:30] "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de>
>>
>> You clearly have more (negative) experience with NetworkManager than I
>> do. Either way, we do want something like NetworkManager’s GUI/Dbus
>> interfaces/… to exist for typical users who don’t want to write their
>> own bash script. I see why you don’t want it on the server, even though
>> it probably won’t mess up plain Ethernet.
>
> Why do typical users would need to mess up with Parabola's server network config?

Sorry, I went off-topic on this. What I meant to say is, NetworkManager
is a good choice for a laptop.

Any of netctl/networkd/… will hopefully continue to work without
maintenance until the server hardware changes. Again, I don’t think it
matters for a server, but since Luke has reasons not to want
NetworkManager, we can simply use systemd-networkd or even a shell script.